Tips for Taking Online Classes
Schedule Your Time Strategically
Audit Your Time
Use Tools That Support Time Management
Get Familiar with Your Online Course
Learning Management Systems
Asynchronous vs. Synchronous Learning
- Pace out asynchronous learning tasks. Avoid letting them build up, and try to log in to class every day. Get started on asynchronous tasks early, so if questions arise, there’s time to get answers for them.
- For synchronous classes, keep your camera on. This helps with accountability. Also, to stay focused, close all browser windows and tabs not directly relevant to a lesson.
Create a Personalized Study Space
Choose an Environment That Supports Concentration
Get to Know the People in Your Class
- Choosing a meeting platform, such as Google Hangouts or Zoom
- Setting up study goals for each session
- Delegating roles to keep everyone accountable
- Mixing in some fun to break the ice (by creating a course-specific Kahoot quiz, for example)