The Importance of Environmental Awareness When Running a Business
Sustainability in Business: What Does It Mean?
Why Is Sustainability Important in Business?
Sustainable Business Statistics
- According to Cone Communications’ corporate social responsibility study, 63% of Americans want corporations to drive social and environmental change in the absence of government action.
- 87% of American consumers will make a purchase because a company advocated for an issue they care about.
- 76% of Americans expect companies to take action against climate change.
- 73% of Americans would stop purchasing from a company that doesn’t care about climate change.
- According to the 2018 BSR/Globescan survey of business leaders in charge of sustainability and corporate social responsibility, respondents identified ethics and integrity as the No. 1 reason for pursuing business sustainability.
- 75% of corporate sustainability professionals say that businesses need to get better at including sustainability into business strategy to address global mega-trends.
- 64% of North American respondents said sustainability needs to influence core business activities such as strategy and value creation; 84% of European respondents and 89% of respondents everywhere else agreed.
- Less than 33% of respondents said their businesses are actually engaging with sustainable strategic planning.
- According to a report from The New Climate Economy, 95% of plastic packaging — the equivalent of $120 billion annually — is wasted after the first use, and microplastics have been found in 114 aquatic species.
- Over 140 million people will be displaced from their homes by 2050 if business continues as usual.
- Industries must drop carbon emissions by 40% by 2060 to stop the planet from warming over two degrees Celsius.
- In combination with action from governments and other stakeholders, businesses that take action on climate change by adopting green policies, technologies, and strategies for growth could realize a total of $26 trillion in economic benefits.