Job Search Tips: Hard Skills vs. Soft Skills
IT Skills for Today’s Top Jobs
Learning In-Demand Skills for Now and the Future
- Blockchain data storage
- Cloud computing data storage
- Analytical reasoning, or the ability to discern the meaning of patterns in information
- Artificial intelligence (AI), or the ability of a machine to mimic the human mind
- User experience (UX) design, establishing how consumers interact with a product or service
- Scientific computing, used to solve scientific and engineering problems
Developing Expertise in IT Tools
- AI — Machine learning, natural language processing, and AI integration and application
- Cloud computing — Azure, AWS, Google Cloud, Amazon Web, Kamatera, and Oracle
- Data analysis — OLAP, data queries, data cube technology, raw data processing and integration, data structures and algorithms, and Tableau
- Desktop software and application development — Android/iOS Software Development Kit, Android/iOS UX and UI, SQL, Xcode development, Github, React.js, and Angular
- E-commerce platforms — Shopify, WooCommerce, BigCommerce, Magento, and OpenCart
- Network security — Malware analysis, cloud security, intrusion detection, CEH, OSCP, CISA, GCIH, and file and data encryption
- Operating systems — Linux, Windows, macOS, Android, and iOS
- Gorli Testnet
Marketing Skills for Career Success
- Affiliate marketing, or an approach in which third parties receive compensation for generating online leads or sales of a company’s products or services
- Video production
Targeting In-Demand Marketing Skills and Tools
- Content management system (CMS) — Magento, Wix, WordPress
- Conversion rate optimization (CRO) — Amplitude, Google Analytics
- Customer relationship management (CRM) — Salesforce, Sugar, Zoho
- Data visualization — PowerBI, Tableau
- Email marketing — GetResponse, MailChimp
- Marketing automation — Arctic PinPoint, HubSpot, Infusionsoft, ONTRAPORT
- Pay per click (PPC) — AdWords, Facebook Paid Ads
- Search engine optimization (SEO) — Ahrefs, Netpeak Spider, Screaming Frog, SEO Power Suite, SEMRush
- Social media — Hootsuite, Sprout
- Video editing — Adobe Premiere, Apple iMovie, Lightworks
Interpersonal Skills for the Workplace
Examining the Types of Interpersonal Skills
- Active listening — Focusing on a speaker and comprehending their message, zeroing in on the discussion, and providing relevant questions and answers
- Responsibility — Willingness to take on tasks and see them through with minimal oversight
- Dependability — Doing what you say you’re going to do, when you say you’re going to do it, including consistently completing work on time
- Leadership — Understanding how to provide a good example by taking decisive action, encouraging others, and adapting to change, such as by helping team members overcome challenges
- Motivation — Eagerness to act, take on new roles, and expand your knowledge
- Flexibility — Ability to adapt to changing circumstances, such as the challenges presented by the pandemic, which have tested workers’ flexibility in every sector
- Patience — Understanding the importance of taking time to make informed decisions, and collaborating with others who work at a different pace
- Empathy — Seeing issues from others’ perspectives to aid in understanding and improve team morale
- Conflict resolution — Resolving issues between co-workers by keeping calm, identifying problems, and coming up with equitable solutions
- Negotiation — Helping two parties come to an agreement, whether discussing pricing with a vendor or asking for a raise
Understanding the Importance of Interpersonal Skills
Collaboration for Job Productivity
Employing Team Collaboration at Work
- Welcoming the opportunity to work with others
- Setting — and embracing — clear goals
- Understanding your role on the team and how to work within it
- Taking responsibility for your mistakes and offering solutions
- Recognizing other team members’ strengths, weaknesses, and differences
- Accepting new kinds of assignments as an opportunity to learn
- Listening to other team members’ concerns
- Celebrating when others succeed
- Maintaining a positive attitude, even when addressing challenging situations
Facilitating Remote Team Collaboration
- Consider how the messages will translate remotely and adjust plans for communicating as needed.
- Choose a format for your team collaboration, such as virtual meeting, document sharing, or virtual reality.
- Encourage conversation by facilitating breakout sessions.
Improving and Showcasing Hard Skills and Soft Skills
- Get the job you want.
- Excel in the job you get.
- Prepare for tomorrow’s jobs.
Honing Your Workplace Skills
- Ask for feedback from others about how they mastered a skill and how you can improve.
- Practice, creating a regimen for working on your skills and charting your progress.
- Form relationships with others in the workplace, using your communication skills and learning from diverse groups of people.
- Take classes or pursue a degree or certification to learn the hard skills you’ll need and hone soft skills like teamwork and motivation.