8 Types of Digital Marketing for Promoting a Business
Advantages of Email Marketing
- Email marketing allows businesses to regularly update clients on new products and promotions. It also allows customers to find out when a company is offering coupons or having a sale.
- Emails can feel more personal than other types of digital marketing. Customers appreciate regular updates being sent to their inbox rather than stumbling upon advertisements.
- Emails can feel like a good balance for customers, as phone calls and text messages often feel too intrusive.
- Those who opt into email subscriptions tend to become active visitors to a website and regular customers of its products.
- When customers become regular buyers, they can be grouped into categories with other buyers who share similar interests, so email messages can be tailored to each segment of buyers.
Tools for Email Marketing
- Retail stores can ask in-store customers to provide their email address to receive a digital receipt, and then add them to a subscription list.
- When individuals are shopping online, coupons or promotions can be offered in exchange for an email address. This can be an effective way of providing incentive for reluctant subscribers.
- Some stores require customers to create an account, with their contact information, before completing a purchase.
Email Marketing Challenges
- In-person customers may bypass digital receipts in favor of paper receipts.
- Customers may be reluctant to provide their email address to businesses if they’re concerned about receiving an excessive number of unnecessary emails.
Future Potential of Email Marketing
Search Engine Optimization Marketing
Advantages of SEO
- SEO optimizes visibility with unpaid, organic search results.
- SEO leads traffic to relevant sites with specific keywords.
- SEO changes according to the changing demands of the customer.
- SEO helps establish and maintain an online clientele.
Tools for SEO
- Keyword ranking
- Link building
- Domain authority
Future Potential of SEO
Influencer and Social Media Marketing
Advantages of Social Media Marketing
- Because so many people are active social media users, social media marketing can reach a vast audience.
- Product placement is mutually beneficial, as social media influencers receive pay or products, and businesses get exposure.
- Businesses can directly engage with social media users through direct messaging.
- Customers can directly ask social media managers questions about products, promotions, and sales.
Tools for Social Media Marketing
- It’s important to post regularly, whether daily, weekly, or biweekly, to maintain a consistent online presence.
- It’s important to determine what will be the most effective way for them to market their product: simply posting, paying for advertisements, or paying influencers.
- Social media managers can time posts to correspond to online and in-store promotions.
- Businesses can use messaging to directly interact with current or potential customers.
Challenges of Social Media Marketing
- Social media platform algorithms can make it difficult for social media users to see certain posts or advertisements.
- The steady churn of social content can make it difficult for social media users to find older posts that initially caught their interest.
- Some social media users might not admire the celebrity or organization promoting a product, and may be negatively influenced to avoid it.
Future Potential of Social Media Marketing
Advantages of Content Marketing
- Engages an audience
- Draws clients in by anticipating their desires
- Helps maintain relationships with customers through consistent communication
- Promotes products
- Informs customers about sales, coupons, and new products
Content Marketing Tools
- Instagram posts, advertisements, and promotions
- Facebook posts, advertisements, and promotions
- YouTube videos and advertisements
- Vimeo videos
- Blog posts
- Email blasts
- SMS text or instant messages
- Spotify playlists
Challenges of Content Marketing
- Because content marketing is such an important aspect of digital marketing, it can be a major disadvantage for the company if a content marketing team is unfamiliar with SEO or doesn’t create a strategy for social media posts.
- Another drawback can occur if the content marketing team doesn’t produce consistent and effective content.
Future Potential of Content Marketing
Advantages of PPC Marketing
- PPC marketing can generate a lot of revenue with a high ROI.
- PPC marketing can benefit all parties, as customers find the products they’re looking for, businesses sell their products, and search engines make a profit.
PPC Marketing Tools
- While PPC marketing is different from SEO marketing in being a paid type of digital marketing, it resembles SEO marketing in relying on keywords. Businesses should make sure that the keywords, ad groups, and negative keywords in their PPC advertisements are relevant, exhaustive, and expansive.
- PPC Protect lists some tools for planning PPC campaigns:
- SpyFu tracks competitors’ PPC advertisements
- Ahrefs researches competitors’ advertisements and keyword bids
- Google Trends serves as a research tool for trending keywords
- Unbounce helps build a landing page with specific keywords
Challenges of PPC Marketing
- Clicks don’t always lead to sales; if users click through links but don’t buy, the company still pays, which can add up.
- Successful PPC campaigns require skill and expertise to pinpoint the best ways to promote products. Many small companies hire outside marketing experts, which can be expensive.
Future Potential of PPC Marketing
Advantages of Affiliate Marketing
- Affiliate marketing benefits businesses as well as affiliates, as both make a profit from the product.
- Affiliates can determine how much they want to work, and they make as much or as little as they desire.
- Businesses can also work with other businesses as affiliates. In these situations, companies can promote each other’s products and earn a profit from them.
Affiliate Marketing Tools
- Social networks
- Personal connections
- Digital billboards
- Content marketing
- Stores and shops
Affiliate Marketing Challenges
- Affiliates may not generate as much revenue as they expected.
- An affiliate campaign may be inconsistent with brand identity or official marketing strategies.
Future Potential of Affiliate Marketing
Mobile Device Marketing
Advantages of Mobile Device Marketing
- Allows businesses to contact people who may not use home computers, but do have cellphones
- Can benefit businesses that offer services over products, such as a push notification from a user’s gym when driving by a new location
- Can help local businesses engage with their clientele and bring them into physical stores
Mobile Device Marketing Tools
- Mobile-specific ads that implement click-to-call or live map links
- Advertisements that specifically appeal to users of a certain app or game
- Location-based marketing that reaches out to customers when they pass by a brick-and-mortar outlet
- QR codes with special offers
Challenges of Mobile Device Marketing
- While mobile device marketing can reach a population of inactive internet users, they may not be as likely to shop online.
- Unsolicited contacts to a mobile device can feel intrusive.
Future Potential of Mobile Device Marketing
Instant Message Marketing
Advantages of Instant Message Marketing
- One of the benefits of instant message marketing is that it gives businesses a contact list of customers they can reach out to regularly with special coupons, sales, and new product promotions.
- Another benefit of instant message marketing over mobile device marketing through phone calls is that individuals are more likely to quickly skim through a text than answer a phone call from an unknown number.
Instant Message Marketing Tools
- SMS text message
- Instagram direct message
- Facebook Messenger
Instant Message Marketing Challenges
- Unwanted messages from companies can feel invasive