Director of the MSN Nurse Practitioner Program and Assistant Professor of Nursing
Catherine McAuley School of Nursing
Dr. Mykale Elbe’s career is highlighted by her passion and advocacy for women, children, and minorities. A Maryville instructor since 2015, she guides the next generation of nurses and caregivers through diverse course offerings and hands-on learning.
Dr. Elbe, DNP, APRN, FNP-BC, actively practices as a family nurse practitioner at Mercy Health and champions for promoting health literacy with her patients. She has performed vast research in her field, with a primary focus on breastfeeding support in an urban community. Additionally, Dr. Elbe has led various presentations concentrated around community health, patient-centered care, student engagement, and interactive educational methods in online environments.
An alumnus of Saint Louis University, Dr. Elbe earned her Bachelor of Science in Nursing and Master of Science in Nursing with a concentration in Family Nurse Practice. As a doctoral student, Dr. Elbe concentrated her capstone project in the importance of text message support for breastfeeding in an urban population. Throughout her education, Dr. Elbe received honors from Alpha Epsilon Lambda-Graduate Honor Society, Alpha Sigma Nu-Jesuit Honor Society, and Sigma Theta Tau-Nursing Honor Society.
Areas of Expertise:
- Women’s health
- Breastfeeding support
Dr. Elbe is a strong believer in community outreach and feels compelled to serve throughout several regional and national organizations, such as:
- National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculty
- United States Junior Chamber, South Mascoutah Jaycees
- March of Dimes, Nurse of the Year Committee
- Cystic Fibrosis Foundation
- Delta Gamma Center
- Maryville University (Diversity and Inclusion Task Force, Civic Engagement University Task Force, Committees for DNP, Graduate and Undergraduate Curriculum, Clinical Specially Request Committee, in addition to other service with the university)
- People’s Health Centers (pediatric, pharmaceutical, and clinical committees)
- SSM St. Mary’s Health Center