There has been a quiet revolution happening in the healthcare sector as doctors, nurses and patients are increasingly using mobile health technologies, also known as mHealth tools. As you work toward your online Master of Science in Nursing degree, here’s the knowledge you need to prepare for the future as you advance your career:
The Benefits of Using Mobile Tech for Patient Care
There are a number of benefits of using mobile technology for patient care. Some examples include:
- Currently, patients have to call the doctor’s office to set up an appointment when they have troubling physical symptoms. In the future, they may be able to use portals to ask questions of
their provider or book appointments.
- Patients will be able to use symptom checker tools usually only accessible by medical professionals.
- Apps and mobile device attachments could help patients address their symptoms without travelling to the doctor’s office.
Though the potential associated with mobile health technology is enormous, there are a number of potential downsides, including:
- Lack of interaction could keep doctors from getting to know patients.
- Personal privacy and hacking issues could arise.
- Changes in a long standing medical system could compromise the patient-doctor relationship.
Read more about the ways that mobile health tools are changing nursing in the infographic below: